What's in a Name? Unit
Technology's Influence on Language
- Grade Level: Middle School
- Subject Area: Language Arts, Foreign Language
Students use Internet resources to examine the influence of technological terminology on English and other languages.
- Recognize that the evolution of the English language is an ongoing process.
- Consider the effect this evolution has on culture in this country and others.
Materials and Resources
In developing our lessons and activities, we made some
assumptions about the hardware
and software that would be available in the classroom for teachers who
LETSNet Website. We assume that teachers using our Internet-based lessons or
activities have a computer with the necessary hardware components (mouse,
monitor) as well as a World Wide Web browser. In the section below, we
specify any "special"
requirements for a lesson or activity (in addition to those described above)
and the level of Internet access required to do the activity.
Special hardware requirements: None.
Special software requirements: None.
Internet access: A medium-speed or higher connection.
- The increasing popularity of technology has introduced many words into the English language that did not exist prior to technology. Have students use the Internet resources provided (see Internet Resources below) to think about some of the words and phrases they use every day that may have their origins in computer programming languages or other protocols.
- Have students imagine the kinds of factors that may shape and influence the English language in the future.
- NetGlos--The Multilingual Glossary of Internet Terminology
This site contains a glossary of common Internet terms translated into 10 different languages.
- Internet Hyper-Glossary
This is another site containing definitions of Internet terminology, including acronyms.
- c/net Glossary
This site contains definitions of highly technical Internet terms.
- NetLingo: The Internet Language Dictionary
This site contains definitions of technical terms as well as some of the more "slangy" words and phrases associated with Internet use.
Back to What's in a Name? Unit Lesson Plans
LETSNet is © Michigan State University College
of Education and Ameritech