Heart Rate Unit
Research and Report
- Grade Level: Upper Elementary - Middle School
- Subject Area: Science
Students will use the internet and other resources to locate, read and summarize information relevant to the Heart.
- Locate information on heart rate and the heart.
- Write the references (urls or title and author) and a brief paragragh about each related resource found.
- Direct their research, based on their conclusion.
Materials and Resources
- Library resources available for student use.
In developing our lessons and activities, we made some
assumptions about the hardware and software that would be available in the classroom for teachers who visit the LETSNet Website. We assume that teachers using our Internet-based lessons or activities have a computer
(PC or Macintosh) with the necessary hardware components (mouse, keyboard, and
monitor) as well as software (operating system, TCP/IP software, networking or
software, e-mail and a World Wide Web client program, preferably Netscape, but
Mosaic or Lynx). In the section below, we specify any "special"
requirements for a lesson or activity (in addition to those described above)
and the level of Internet access required to do the activity.
Special hardware requirements: none.
Special software requirements: none.
Internet access: none.
- Review lesson three.
- Divide class into groups according to the number of computers available. Some students may wish to go to the library to look up information.
- Direct students to use available resources (some listed below) to research heart rate and a healthy heart.
- Write the references (urls or title and author) and a brief paragragh about each related resource found. Must have at least 5.
- P.E. TV: Fit Tips & Facts
This site is sponcored by Reebok and includes: exercising in your target heart rate range, body composition, facts about diet & exercising and additional resources.
- Healthy Heart
The prescription for a healthy heart is to exercise, mantain a good diet and keep your heart clean and drug-free.
- The Heart: A Virtual Exploration
Produced by the Franklin Institute. Enter and explore the heart. Discover the complexities of its development and structure. Follow the blood through the blood vessels. Wander through the weblike body systems. Learn how to have a healthy heart and how to monitor your heart's health. Look back at the history of heart science.
- IVI Presents The Total Heart
Mayo Clinicin conjunction with IVI Publishing introduce this comprehensive interactive guide to heart health and heart disease. The Total Heart CD-ROM is an interactive guide that offers practical advice on lifestyle, diet and other strategies proven to reduce the risk of heart disease. It also includes straight forward explanations of a wide range of cardiovascular diseases and conditions, symptoms, possible causes, medications and treatment options.
- PEN Pages
The Pennsylvania Education Network pages offer background information about the heart.
- National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute
Information and educational activities on smoking, blood pressure, asthma, obesity, and cholesterol.
The University of Iowa's Virtual Hospital is overflowing with useful health information.
Back to Heart Rate Unit
LETSNet is © Michigan State University College
of Education and Ameritech