Electronic Field Trips
Ellis Island Unit
Creative Writing/Historical Journals
- Grade level: Middle/Upper Elementary, High School
- Subject Area: Social Studies, Language Arts
Having finished their primary and secondary research, students write a series of journal entries, from the perspective of one of their ancestors, on what life was like in that time period.
- Students will gain a different perspective of the concepts of immigration.
- Students will practices writing skills through the processes of writing and revising their historical journal entries.
- Students will synthesize their understandings of the concepts of immigration.
Materials and Resources Needed
Students will draw on the resources and research that they have completed in previous sections of the unit.
- Start by asking students to review the research and interviews that they have completed.
- Students reflect on what it would have been like to go through the types of experiences that their relatives did when they immigrated to this country.
- Students begin their rough drafts of journal entries.
- Set aside time for students to edit with their peers before you edit their rough drafts.
- Students complete their rough drafts, adding illustrations if desired.
- Plan some time for students to share their work with one another.
Back to Ellis Island Unit Lesson Plans
LETSNet is © Michigan State University College
of Education and Ameritech