Central America and the Caribbean
- Grade level: Upper Elementary, Middle and High School
- Subject Area: Foreign Language - Spanish
Whole group discuss the Spanish-speaking country in the Central America and the Caribbean. From library or WWW resources in team work, students will get general/profound knowledge about the Hispanich countries in the area.
- Students will learn how to use library or Internet resources to chosen topics.
- Students will comprehend the collected information.
- Students will structure the information with texts and graphics for presentation.
- Students will share their research with whole group.
Materials and Resources Needed
- Hardware requirement: several PCs or Macintoshs with color monitors printer(s), CD-ROM.
- Software requirement: Operating system (MacOs, Window, Dos, Windows/95, etc.), application software (ClarisWorks, MS word, etc.), and WWW browsers (Netscape, etc.)
- Network/Internet requirement: telephone lines, high-speed modems (14,400 or above), Web browser: Netscape or others.
- Ask students to pick up listed countries according to their interests.
- Divide class into small groups with different topics. Notice group size.
- Give students the bookmarks or book lists to do research on their topics.
- Allow students to read these information individually or with small group.
- Ask students to discuss the structure of collected information for the preparation of presentation.
- Reconvene as a whole group and have each group share what they researched with whole group.
- Assign student to write down their impression on these countries as homework.
- Central America
The web site from Yahoo server offers a rich inforamtion about most countries in Central America. Students are easy to find special topics from this URL.
- The Caribbean
Some Spanish-speaking countries are located in this region. For those who choose Cuba, Republica Dominicana, and Puerto Rico.
- Avanti Destinations: Latin America Planner
- Latin World Serve
The Latin World Server offers rich information about Hispanic countries in Central and Sourth America as well as the Caribbean. The countries and regions include:
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
- Republica Dominicana
Back to Hispanic World Unit Lesson Plans