- Grade Level: High School, Middle School
- Subject Area: Social Studies
Students will begin their research using both web and library resources. Students will work in teams to address specific research questions about the movie. This stage of the unit will most likely take several class periods to complete.
Students will assess the historical validity of the movie using a variety of resources.
Materials and Resources Needed
In developing our lessons and activities, we made some assumptions about the hardware and software that would be available in the classroom for teachers who visit the LETSNet website. We assume that teachers using our Internet-based lessons or activities have a computer (PC or Macintosh) with the necessary hardware components - mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. - as well as software - operating system, TCP/IP software, networking or dial-up software, e-mail and a World Wide Web client program, preferably Netscape, but perhaps Mosaic or Lynx. In the section below, we specify any "special" hardware or software requirements for a lesson or activity - in addition to those described above - and the level of Internet access required to do the activity.
- Special hardware requirements: None.
- Special software requirements: None.
- Network/Internet requirements: A high speed connection
- Internet resources: Our list of Internet sites, see below.
- Organize students into research teams to focus on the questions developed in Lesson Two.
- Have as many research teams as possible access the Internet resources listed below. Other students will use library resources to begin to address their questions. Students may refer to text books, school library books, or public library books. Students should conduct their research keeping in mind the presentation that they will be making to their classmates.
- Native Opinions on Pocahontas Page
This web page provides an alternative perspective to the historical aspects of Pocahontas' story. It provides some excerpts from historical documents and also lets you e-mail the webmistress your thoughts about the movie which will be added to the website.
- Disney's Pocahontas Page
Disney's press release materials about the movie Pocahontas.
- Powhatan Nation Home Page [http://www.k2nesoft.com/powhatan/]
The home page of the Powhatan Renape Nation, an American Indian Nation located at the Rankokus Indian Reservation in Westampton Township, Burlington County, New Jersey. The page provides an alternative set of information about Pocahontas, who was a member of the Powhatan tribe.
Back to Pocahontas Revisited Unit Lesson Plans