Relation to Standards
We have drawn on the Goals 2000 Arts Education Standards [http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/forms/912-stan.html] and the Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory (McREL) Content Knowledge: A Compendium of Standards and Benchmarks for K-12 Education history standards [http://www.mcrel.org/standards-benchmarks/standards/histhink/S2.html] to develop this unit. These standards provide excellent guidelines for teachers on how to focus art and history work in their classrooms.
As an art unit, the Introduction to Architectural Visualization Unit addresses the following standards:
- "Using knowledge of structures and functions" (standard 2).
- "Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures" (standard 4).
- "Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines" (standard 5).
An evaulation of how the Introduction to Architectural Visualization Unit addresses the McREL history standards:
- The student "analyzes the values held by specific people who influenced history and the role their values played in influencing history" (standard 2).
- The student "analyzes how specific historical events would be interpreted differently based on newly uncovered records and/or information" (standard 2).
- The student "understands how the past affects our private lives and society in general" (standard 2).
Back to Introduction to Architectural Visualization Unit